crayon.birthdays

this littlest one of mine had a birthday. 
her awesome teacher let me come to her classroom and do some artwork with her classmates.
i wanted to do a pet rock project - and discovered the base of my artform HERE. it is a great website!
so. i had to figure out how to transfer hot stones to a classroom. 


first. soak your crayons in water to get the peeling off of them.

 
do not break them. they need to be nice and long. so fingers don't get burned.


since we don't live too far from the school - i popped the stones into a stone pot, and placed it in our oven for about 30 minutes on 350* before transferring the pot into a cooler lined with a thick towel (since the base of my crockpot was broken). then drove to the school.
i later discovered that i should have kept the pot in the oven for about an hour before instead.

line your table with a thick cloth. then little foil pans for the stones. then using tongs, place each stone onto the foil, and be sure the kiddos understand not to touch the hot rocks. have them slowly move the crayons over each stone and watch it melt. you can only melt color one side. my transferred stones from the house, were not as hot as I wanted them to be. so I brought along my Darice Heat Tool and heated up each rock that cooled off. Again be careful with the aiming of the heat tool.


once the stones are cool, glue goggle eyes to them, if you'd like.
the class had great fun! i also brought my typewriter and rubber stamps then let the kiddos type onto small white paper bags to house their pet rocks.

it is much easier at home next to an oven filled with hot stones. 
all my kiddos had a blast melting the crayons onto the rocks.
















stones and crayons. it's good for the soul.

Comments

Popular Posts